The Palagruža Islands, Croatia’s most remote islands, are situated in the heart of the Adriatic Sea, closer to Italy than to the Croatian mainland. On the main island, a remarkable lighthouse was constructed in 1875, making it the largest lighthouse in the entire Adriatic region. Notably, the light machine, crafted by Henry Epoulte from Paris in 1873, still remains in operation.
These islands hold a treasure trove of authentic archaeological finds spanning various historical periods, including the Neolithic, Greek, Roman, and early medieval eras. Among the discoveries is a painted Greek potsherd from the 6th century BC bearing the name Diomed. This finding has fueled speculation that Diomedes, the renowned Greek hero and survivor of the Trojan War, may have been interred here.
Aside from the dedicated lighthouse crew, the Palagruža Islands remain uninhabited.