Nenad Saljic, born 1961, is a Croatian photographic artist. After obtaining a PhD in Economics and 18 years in industry, he left the world of business to focus on his art projects.
Trained as a mountaineer and caver in his youth, Saljic is inspired by his love of nature’s most ancient textures, forms and shapes. His black and white photography is a testament to his ability to contemplate the concept of lasting and temporality, whether it’s portraits of the Matterhorn, or the awe-inspiring depths of the Dalmatian caves, revealing earth’s geological history.
His current projects include three artist books: A Portrait of the Matterhorn, Petrified, which will showcase his explorations of the Dalmatian caves, and Birth of a Ship, a photographic journal recording the reproduction of a traditional wooden boat.
His work has received international awards, it is exhibited internationally and is also included in various international collections.
Currently lives and works in Split, Croatia.
- Bibliothèque Nationale de France, Paris
- Foto8 Gallery, London
- Griffin Museum of Photography, Winchester-Boston, USA
- The Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, USA
- Museum of Arts and Crafts, Zagreb, Croatia
- Private collections: USA, Canada, Norway, Switzerland, Germany, Hong Kong, UK, Croatia
- 36th Zagreb Salon – International Exhibition of Photography, Mimara Museum, Zagreb, Croatia, November 11-29, 2014.
- 2014 New York Photo Festival – The PhotoWorld Exhibition, The POWERHOUSE Arena, New York City, September 26 – November 10, 2014
- 2014 Aperture Foundation Summer Open, New York City, July 17 – August 14, 2014
- Sony World Photography Awards 2013, European Month of Photography, House of Art, Bratislava, Slovakia, November 5 – December 1, 2013
- PHOTODAYS@MUO, Museum of Arts and Crafts, Zagreb, Croatia, September 3 – 29, 2013
- Nenad Saljic, Solo Exhibition, Photo Gallery Split, Croatia, June 27 – July 15, 2013.
- 2013 Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition, Somerset House, London, April 26 – May 12, 2013.
- Nenad Saljic, Solo Exhibition, Saxony Australia: The Galeries (Sydney), World Square (Sydney), Chatswood Chase (Chatswood), Doncaster, Chadstone, QV (Melbourne), February – May, 2013
- Sylvia White Gallery – 2013 Collector’s Choice, Ventura, CA, USA, January 2 – February 2, 2013
- The Grand Prix de la Découverte, NoFound Photo Fair – in conjunction with Paris Photo and Paris Mois de la Photo, Paris, November 16–19, 2012
- 34th Zagreb Salon – International Exhibition of Photography, Mimara Museum, Zagreb, Croatia, November 6-24, 2012
- The Art of Photography Show 2012, San Diego Art Institute, USA, September 29 – November 11, 2012
- Sky and Sea, The Natural Wine Company, New York, February–May, 2012
- Secrets and Mysteries, Darkroom Gallery, Essex Jct., Vermont, USA, July 5 – 29, 2012
- Foto8 Summershow 2012, Foto8 Gallery, London, July 6 – August 18, 2012
- Houston Center for Photography, 30th Annual Juried Membership Exhibition, USA, July 13 – Aug 26, 2012
- Griffin Museum of Photography, 18th Juried Exhibition, Winchester-Boston, USA, July 19 – Sept 2, 2012
- Worldwide Photography Biennial Exhibition, The Borges Cultural Center, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2012
- pdn + PhotoPlus International Conference + Expo, World in Focus Gallery, New York, 2011
- AOP – Association of Photographers Open Exhibition, The Dray Walk Gallery, London, 2011
- The Prix de la Photographie Paris (Px3), 2014: Gold Award Winner
- Sony World Photography Awards, London, 2013: Professional Landscape Photographer of the Year
- IPA International Photography Awards, Los Angeles, USA, 2013: First Prize Winner – Book “Birth of a Ship”: Fine Art Professional Category and Self Published Professional Category
- PDN Photo Annual, New York, 2013: Winner – Personal Category
- Photodays Rovinj, Croatia, 2013: First Prize Winner – Publications Category – Photobook “Birth of a Ship”
- 2012 National Geographic Photo Contest, USA, 2013: First Prize Winner – Places Category
- Houston Center for Photography: 2013 Fellowships, Houston, USA, 2012: Fellowship Honorable Mention Recipient (Juror W.M. Hunt)
- World in Focus, PDN Magazine, New York, 2012: Grand Prize Winner
- 30th Annual Juried Membership Exhibition, Houston Center for Photography, USA, 2012: Juror’s Commendation / Beth Block Foundation Award (Juror Anne Tucker)
- New York Photo Festival, 2012: Invitational Winner for forthcoming Photobook “Birth of a Ship”
- B&W Magazine Portfolio Contest, USA, 2011: Spotlight Award
PUBLICATIONS / MEDIA (Selection)
- Fotografija, No 60, 61, 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Eighteen39.com, Review: Birth of a Ship, Nenad Saljic, July 1st, 2014
- The Magazine: Issue IX, February 2014, The World Photography Organisation, London, UK
- Global Citizens, H&P, Ideos Publications Ltd., New York, London, Zurich, Hong Kong, 2013, ISBN: 9780957436282
- Colombo Premium Magazine, Issue 33, December 2013, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Sony World Photography Awards 2013 Library, Professional Competition, Landscape Shortlist, Moleskine, www.moleskine.com/Photobooks, 2013
- Professional Photographer, June 2013, UK
- Photography Week, Issue 37, May 2013, UK
- The Black Journal (cover), No 6, 2013, Linz, Austria
- PDN Magazine, June 2013, New York, USA
- Slate Magazine, 7th June, 2013, USA
- Sony World Photography Awards 2013 – Book, London, 2013, ISBN: 0957201028
- Zupi Contemporary Art Magazine, No 34, April 2013, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- I-REF Magazine for contemporary culture, January 7, 2013, Berlin, Germany
- My Modern Met, December 4, 2012
- Image in Progress Magazine, Issue No. 3, 2012, Rome
- B&W Magazine, Issue #94, September 2012, USA
- B&W+COLOR Magazine, Issue #87, December 2011, USA
- AOP – Association of Photographers Open Awards 2010, London